The dictionary defines Syrup as: "a thick sticky solution of sugar and water often flavored or medicated", or the concentrated juice of a fruit or plant".
There are many types of syrups used in the food, beverage and candy industries, as well as several in the pharmaceutical industry. Common types of syrups include:
- Beverage - simple (sweetener + water) & finished (flavor ingredients added)
- Corn - various grades and modifications, derived from cornstarch
- Fruit - for canned or frozen fruits, jellies and preserves
- Maple - natural, in various grades
- Table (or Pancake) - maple flavored + fruit flavors
- Toppings - fruit, caramel, chocolate, etc.
- Candy - to make caramels, nougats, chocolate, hard candies, etc.
- Medicine - cough & cold remedies
We usually think of syrups as adding sweetness to a product or food item, but they can also contribute functional attributes as well, such as: flavor carrying - allowing the flavor to spread and stay on the tongue longer for better adsorption by receptors; adding viscosity and body to products; as a natural preservative reducing water activity; and as a carrier for medicines to make them more palatable and to provide a soothing coating action.
Blended syrups in industry are usually concentrated and viscous, requiring low speed, gear drive mixers like the Rotomixx sanitary stainless steel mixers with high efficiency Jetfoil™ impellers. Frozen fruit syrups containing ice crystals can be quickly made ready to use with a Rotosolver high shear emulsifier. Candy manufacturers use Rotosolvers to make fondants and marshmallows. Syrups can be accurately blended or diluted with Admixer sanitary static mixers.
- High flow
- High shear, for tougher ingredients
- Uniform blending
- Dispersing CMC into corn syrup
Admix has experience with all types of syrups requiring powerful low speed mixers or high speed, high-shear dispersers. We offer systems to entrain air or eliminate air while mixing. We can mix in-line continuously, in batch mode or use a combination of both.
Bring us your mixing challenges, and we will recommend creative solutions...
Please contact our application engineers at 800.466.2369 or email us at email@example.com